Friday 17 June 2011

Baby days - Labour

Well, what I have learnt about labour....

Firstly, the hospital bag is more like a small suitcase(s).  This is what I had in mine

For Labour:
  • Dark Towels
  • Nightie that I'd never wear again, for labouring in
  • Fruit juice drinks with straws
  • Energy/cereal bars
  • Parking money
  • Ipod, even though we never played it

Jon discovered that he needed his own stuff after a couple of labours...
  • His own drinks
  • His own food
  • Paracetemol
  • Camera

After birth/ward:
  • Dark towels
  • Maternity sanitary wear
  • Knickers that can be thrown away
  • Nursing bras and pads
  • Lanolin
  • Nice PJs and some easywear day clothes
  • Nice toiletries
  • Make up & hair stuff
  • Nappies, cotton wool, vests, baby grows, scratch mits and a special leaving hospital outfit.
  • Laundry bag
  • Also wished I brought a sleep eye mask
I know it might seem vain packing make up etc but these little things made me feel human again, plus you have lots of photos taken.  Also I then used my ipod whilst on the ward.

My thoughts on labour.....
  1. It really hurts...
  2. I don't like it
  3. Its messy
  4. It made no difference how I sat on chairs or balls or spent time on all 4's, my babies were back to back and that was that
  5. Labouring as natural as possible (with little intervention) does help your body to recover quicker
  6. I like gas and air
  7. Midwives are really important.  Having female support really helped me labour better 
  8. Being in water is great for labouring
  9. Placentas are really interesting...
  10. The pain instantly goes when you hold your newborn baby.  It is so worth everything you go through. The amazing sense of love and joy is indescribable.  It is the most amazing thing EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment